When choosing the best type of roofing for your home, there are many different options available to you. Metal roofing, Mediterranean-style terracotta tiles, and even green or living roofs might seem like interesting options. However, there is a reason why asphalt shingles continue to be used in more than 80 percent of home roofing and re-roofing projects across the United States.
Asphalt shingles are easily the most popular roofing option for American homeowners. They can be used in virtually every part of the country, from warm regions like the Southwest, where shingles do a great job of reflecting sunlight to the cold areas of western New York, where they help avoid snow drifts piling up on top of the roof.
Below, we’ll talk about what a 30-year architectural shingle is, as well as the benefits and advantages of this popular roofing option.
What Is A 30-Year Architectural Shingle?
What most homeowners don’t understand is that not all asphalt shingles are made the same. In general, there are two main types of asphalt shingles: 3-tab shingles and 30-year architectural shingles.
The more commonly used 3-tab shingles are constructed of three individual asphalt tabs that are one-foot wide. These asphalt-based shingles protect your home from the elements by dropping water to the shingle below. The best 3 tab shingles have a lifespan of around 15 years and are usually rated at being able to withstand wind speeds of up to 60 miles per hour.
On the other hand, 30-year architectural shingles are made with two strips of asphalt that have been glued or “laminated” together. The individual tabs of these types of asphalt-based shingles have different widths and different colors, allowing homeowners to achieve a customized roof for their home.
When installed correctly, 30-year architectural shingles are guaranteed to last twice as long as 3-tab shingles and can withstand wind speeds of up to 130 miles per hour.
Benefits of 30-Year Architectural Shingles
Obviously, the main advantage of 30 year architectural shingles is reflected in the name. These shingles are much more durable than the alternatives. While 30-year architectural shingles might require a more costly upfront investment, they will offer major savings when factoring in considerations of durability and the total lifespan cost analysis. Other advantages include:
- Increasing the value of your home. 30-year architectural shingles can increase the value and equity of your home, which is important for homeowners who might consider selling down the road.
- More durability without need for extra support. 30-year architectural shingles have a unique three-dimensional texture built into them that makes them much sturdier than other types of asphalt shingles. Despite this extra robustness, they generally do not require any sort of extra roof support or structure. You won’t have to worry about them as much when going through your home maintenance checklist.
- Higher wind resistance. As we mentioned above, 30-year architectural shingles also can withstand more than double the wind speed of 3-tab shingles, thus reducing vulnerability to harsh weather.
- Increased protection from snow loads. The extra thickness of 30-year architectural shingles also offers superior protection from heavy snow loads, which is certainly important for homeowners in Western New York.
- Customizable to fit your individual tastes. Unlike regular shingles, 30-year architectural shingles come in a wide variety of colors and textures. Homeowners can choose from hues of grays, reds, browns, and greens, and there are some designed to imitate the appearance of cedar shake or slate roofs - without the hefty price tag.
- Lower total cost over the long run. While 30-year architectural shingles might cost more upfront, their durability generally makes them a better long-term investment. Depending on the type, color, and style of architectural shingle you choose, you should expect to pay somewhere between $150 and $450 per square foot to install this durable roofing material for your home.
When It Comes To Roofs, Natale’s Got You Covered
Natale Builders is a leading custom home builder specializing in helping homeowners in Western New York find the best materials to build their dream homes, including 30-year architectural shingles.
With over 50 years of experience in building custom homes, we are also an industry leader in Energy Star and Green Build designs for homes and neighborhoods in Western New York.
Contact us to start planning your dream home today!